Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Nights on the Compound

We have definitely been through many night phases here on the compound. I've done my time when it comes to getting out of bed 5 or 6 times a night to rock or nurse a sleepless baby back to bed and I've certainly patted enough restless bums to last me for a while. The phase we are in now is not a bad one. The boys share a room and go to bed at the same time. This is nice. We pray, have a few last words and kiss eachother goodnight and I'm out of there. This is nice too. I can always count on at least one of them venturing in to my bedroom somewhere between 3 and 5 in the morning. They take a sip of water from the cup by my bed and I haul them over me into the spot between Woody and I where they fall back to sleep. On a "not so good night" one will venture in and then the second will come a bit later, expecting to score that spot in the middle. They are not too happy to find their brother already there. Let's face it, a king bed is big, but to sleep 4 across and expect to be comfy is another thing. Especially when 2 of them like to sleep perpendicular. You can always expect a foot in the face or an elbow in the back. It's rough.

Last night, something out of the ordinary happened. Both boys woke up and ventured to my room at the same time. I heard the feet steps change as they soon realized it was a race for the "spot". There was pushing and yelling as they ran half asleep screaming, "I'm gonna sleep by momma!" They fought over the cup because obviously the first to drink would be the first finished and the first to get in bed. It was not funny at the time. I ended up putting them both at the top of the bed and they fought for space while I threatened to take them both back to their room. They eventually fell back asleep, but me....no. Took me over a half hour with my 14 inches of bed room.

Sheesh, I know one day they are not gonna fight over sleeping by me so I guess I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

No comments: