Monday, December 14, 2009

Jonas' Birthday

Today is Jonas' 4th birthday. I thought I'd write down what I remember about the day he was born.

He was already 10 days late....I was starting to loose my mind. When I woke up that morning, I told Woody he'd better get whatever he needed done cause the baby was coming. I ran out to school to drop off my students' Christmas presents and then I enjoyed a big burrito from Rosie's. i don't think I quite understood the meaning of this last meal without children .
I was sure he was coming so I was just trying to wait it out. There was a contraction here, a contraction there..... Then I went home to finish my puzzle. Yes, my puzzle. I was such a puzzle nerd when I was pregnant with Jonas. Can't tell you how many I did, but I know it was a lot. Around 5 pm I called Woody and told him my condition, but I didn't call anyone else. I guess I thought it would probably stop and I didn't want anyone fussing over me. When Woody came home he said, "Well do you want to go get something to eat?" We ended up at Sizzler!!! I ordered a hamburger and the server asked if it was alright cause I hadn't eaten much. I answered, "Yes, it's just that I'm in labor." Her eyes got all big and I assured her I was not going to have the baby in the booth. On our way home, I called Jen and told her I thought he was coming and I was going to home to wait it out some more. I remember Woody sleeping on the couch, and me going out to visit my dogs outside....one contraction at a time. Yes, I'm a crazy dog lady. I decided to lay down to rest (ya right) and could take no more by midnight. Woody and I were off the Loma Linda. It's funny how when we got there, it never occurred to us to have Woody drop me off at the door and then park. No, we both hoofed it across the parking lot stopping every once and a while cause the contractions were so strong. When we finally made it to the sliding doors....they were closed. The only entrance was through emergency. Woody ran back to get the car and I waited this time! We finally made it to the entrance and to the elevators. Woody read the sign, "This is an employee only elevator." I could have cared less! I finally found a wheelchair up on third floor delivery. Check in felt like forever! When I finally saw the doctor, they congratulated me on staying home for so long and I said, "Give me my epidural." It was now around 1:30, Jen and my mom had come. The epidural was working great and he was born at 4:31 am. 8lbs 11oz. 21 1/2 inches long.

Now... he's crazy and so smart. Loves to talk to anyone, but hates to dance and sing. Does not like to throw anything away, but makes me laugh everyday. He flipped my world upside down that day and it's never been the same. He is the only 4 year old I know who does not want to get bigger. I think he wants to be my baby forever. I love him more than he will ever know and would do anything for him. Happy 4th birthday Jonas!

1 comment:

Kindra said...

Happy Birthday, Jonas...you sure do keep your momma busy!!!