Friday, December 18, 2009

One Traumatic Day

Well, he made it four years without any stitches....but I guess they had to come sometime. Today Jonas nearly chopped the end of his toe off with a shovel. It happened at Grammy and Grampy's, just before I got home. Mom and I took him to Urgent Care, but they suggested he go to the hospital to ensure he got all the treatment necessary. This did not happen with ease. Jonas was going to do everything in his power to not go. "I'm never going to the hospital....never ever!" He pleaded and cried and refused bandages the entire way. He did not want stitches and kept repeating that over and over. I was thankful the hospital took him right in....the tip of his toe was turning black. Had you heard him, your heart would have broken....like mine. I kept it together and kept reassuring him they would help make it better, but he wasn't buying it.
They started with a Tetanus shot...which did not go well. When it finally came time for the stitches, they wrapped him up with his arms behind his back. It still took two nurses and myself to keep him somewhat still, but it was horrible. He screamed like I had never heard. I knew it hurt and all I could do was try to talk to him.... He even turned down my story about a baby chick! Grammy bought him a cool blue crane from the gift shop and a spinning top....but he would not hold that toe still. It took 1 1/2 hours to do 4 stitches and everyone was sweating. The nurse said he had never held a child with that much strength in the 15 years he'd been doing his job. Mom and I tried to warn him before....but I guess he eventually figured it out.
They were really good....given the circumstances. When all was over and we were going home, Jonas said, "I wike my fwiends fwom the hospital.
He still managed to smile and charm his way through the hospital with tons of attention from nurses and administration and I'm so glad that part is over. Praying that the pain isn't too unmanageable and that it heals quickly without any infection. I love my tough little guy!

1 comment:

with love, the fishers said...

His poor toe! hey, At least it's still there! poor baby!